The RYA has launched a new First Aid manual specifically designed for mariners.
Written and overseen by medical professionals, it contains all the credible information and advice you would expect from a First Aid book, with content now tailored to boaters.
Areas covered include:
· How to treat cold water shock and dehydration
· How to get medical advice by marine radio
· How to prepare the boat, crew and casualty in the event of someone having to be airlifted to hospital by helicopter
· The contamination risks of blue/green algae and weil’s disease and basic treatment
· How to access category C medical stores
If the worst happens at sea, the medical attention that you administer while waiting for help can save lives. The manual, complemented by the RYA’s First Aid course, is a must for anyone spending a lot of time on the water. It can easily be stowed for reference as part of your medical kit on board, and/or accessed via your phone.
First Aid Instructor and Chief Instructor of the Army Sailing Association’s Sailing Centre, Philip Brown, said he was pleased that the RYA had taken the initiative to produce the vital manual, adding: “Boaters will now have a much more thorough knowledge of how to deal with the kind of situations you might meet at sea.”
The First Aid Manual for Mariners is available from the RYA shop www.rya.org.uk/go/shop as a hard copy, or as a handy eBook.
RYA eBooks can be bought directly through the RYA web shop, where you can take advantage of the following additional benefits:
Access your eBooks on all supported platforms and on up to three different devices:
· Take advantage of the 15% RYA Members’ discount
· Sync notes and bookmarks across platforms
· All RYA eBooks can also be bought directly through the FREE RYA Books App which runs on Windows, OS X, iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices, however this can limit you to that specific platform.
Visit RYA eBooks (www.rya.org.uk/shop/Pages/eBooks.aspx) to find out how to get the app and where you can download tasters of RYA eBooks for free.
Follow RYA Publications on YouTube for the latest videos or on Twitter @RYAPublications for all the latest news and information, updates and occasional giveaways.
Love Boating? Then why not join the association that promotes and protects, safe, successful and rewarding British boating. Join today and support the RYA in protecting your boating rights and freedoms. Take advantage of free advice and support on all aspects of your boating, as well as enjoying a range of fantastic personal member offers. Find out more by calling 02380 604 159, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.rya.org.ukFollow